You may have noticed that I haven’t been posting quite as many blog posts on this blog lately. That is for two main reasons:
1) I also write regular blog posts for http://www.beatredundancyblues.wordpress.com and http://www.beatredundancyblues.co.uk and a News and Inspiration page for http://www.beatredundancyblues.com
2) I have recently written a guest blog article for Sage One and I am currently writing one for Pay Justice.
So what are the advantages of writing guest blog articles for businesses?
1) It’s a challenge, having to come up with new and fresh content that will fit in with the content of their previous blog articles and be suitable for their customers.
2) Your creative muscles are stretched.
3) Your writing skills are improved.
4) It boosts your profile as a writer.
5) Increased SEO for your sites, if the businesses put links to your sites at the end of your articles.
6) The articles show off your expertise in a given subject or range of topics. This is fantastic if you are a non-fiction writer as it enhances your credibility.
What are the disadvantages?
1) It can be very time consuming and mean spending less time on your own writing projects.
2) Not only do you need to do research for the article content but you also need to do research about the company whom the blog article is for. You need to find out what the company’s mission is, what they are about, what their point of view is and what previous blog article content has been published. Again, this can be very time consuming.
3) Often there will be no payment for guest blog articles.
4) You may receive a very vague brief or no brief at all, as to what to write about. This means you will need to use your research of the company, as previously described and your imagination, to come up with a blog article idea and create some great content from it.
5) When you write the blog article content, you need to ensure that there is no conflict of interest with your own online profile, business, or blog content.
6) You need to target the article to the said company’s target market, not your own. Although you may find there are some overlaps.
I hope you find this information useful for your own writing ventures and to assess whether or not, blog article writing for businesses, is right for you.
Until next time, write soon.
7 thoughts on “What are the advantages and disadvantages of writing guest blog articles for businesses?”
Highly informative post. Thanks Sandra! Best wishes Louise
Thanks Louise, glad you enjoyed it. Are you feeling any better now?
Thank you for the info, Sandra. I’ve only guest blogged once and it was a good experience. It was awhile ago, and I’ve been thinking about doing it again. Your post is helpful.
Thanks Susan. The blog article for http://www.payjustice.co.uk is live on their website now. I have tailored it specifically for their audience/customers. As you are an ambassador for women, you may want to read it. The article is about women being discriminated against in the workplace and what they can do about it.
Glad you found it helpful.
A great list of the pros and cons of guest blogging. I’ve found that the pros generally win when I’m asked to guest blog because it does stretch me and that’s good!
Thanks Carolyn. I would normally agree with you. The pros usually win with me too. But the last guest blog article took me a week and a half to do and the one before that, over week to write and a week of promoting it. I have decided to put a hold ob doing any more as I have too much of my own work to do. I need to do 3 blog posts for my different sites and a news and inspiration page for http://www.beatredundancyblues.com I also need to finish constructing the new quirkybooks.net site.